9 May 2019

Pronouns

PRONOUNS LESSON

We use pronouns instead of nouns or names.
Subject pronouns (I, he, she, it, we, you, they) usually come before the main verb.

• I do yoga on Wednesdays.

• We know your brother.

Object pronouns (me, him, her, it, us, you, them) are used after verbs and
prepositions:

• I saw him yesterday.

• They gave us cheese sandwiches.

• Please come with me.

Demonstrative pronouns (this, that, these, those) show which things or people we
are talking about:

• What's this?

• That's my sister's car over there.

This, that, these, those can also be used before a noun:

• This apple tastes awful.

• Pass me those keys.

Relative pronouns join up or connect parts of sentences.
Who is used for a person:

 • I phoned the woman who sent me the letter.

Which and that are used for a thing:

• It's the film which / that I told you about.

Why is for a reason:

• She explained why she was angry.

Where is for a place:

• Is that where you live?

When is for a time:

• Is there a time when you can come?

Whose is for something belonging to someone:

• She's the girl whose photo is in the newspaper.

Exercise 1:

Choose the correct pronoun from the brackets to complete the sentences.

1-Why don’t you help___________? (we / us)
2-I’ll give___________a call, (he / him)
3-Are you listening t o ___________? (I / me)
4-Give___________the money!________(they / them, They / Them)
5-Mike and__________ are going swimming. Do you want to come with__________ ? (I / me, we / us)
6-The Campbells - do you know___________well? (they / them)
7-Am___________cooking the dinner tonight? (I / me)
8-Can you give this letter to when you see___________? (she / her, she / her)
9-Do you think__________ speaks Finnish? (he / him)
10-Can you throw that ball back t o ___________ ? (we / us)

Exercise 2:


Complete the story with relative pronouns from the study box.

Last summer Hugo went on holiday for two weeks to the island
of Sardinia. He stayed in a hotel 1 )___________had a wonderful
swimming pool and beautiful views of the sea. It was in a village
2 )___________the local people went fishing in the winter, and foreign visitors came in the summer.
Hugo spent his first day on the beach, but on the second day he felt very ill. First he was too hot, then he was too cold. He couldn’t understand 3 )___________ he felt like that. So he went to see the local doctor, 4 )__________ was a very nice man, and 5 )___________English was excellent.
‘Summer is a time 6 )_______ people often feel ill,’ the doctor said. ‘It’s too hot for most of us! Take this medicine, and stay out of the sun.’
Hugo took the doctor’s advice, and stayed in his room for the rest of his holiday. He soon felt better. ‘What a cheap holiday!’ he thought happily.



No comments:

Post a Comment